Saturday, July 16, 2011

Dear Pearl

My dear, my camera.    I know we have gotten off to a rocky start.  We have been together for almost a year and I feel like we hardly even know one another.   Even though we live in the same house and I hold you in my hands many times a week,  I just don't know what you are even capable of.  I fear you may already know my limitations.  I am much less mysterious than you.   Even though you came with an "owners" manual (really...who owns who?) and it's written in my native language,  I have you set on your auto mode.  Such a disservice to you and your capabilities.....what a shame.  I vow to become a better partner to you and to become better acquainted with your gifts and talents.  Thank you for being so patient with me.
xo

8 comments:

Jennifer I. said...

I was in the same boat a year ago when I first purchased my dslr. I love this book. I found it very useful, at least for this beginner :).

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/0817439390/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310907369&sr=8-1

Barrie Hamby said...

Thank you for the recommendation Jennifer. I just ordered it from the library. xo

Unknown said...

Hey Berrie! Just this morning browsing I stumbled across this e-book : ) http://kristendukephotography.com/?p=2851

Anonymous said...

This is me, too. I have a Nikon D-60 and it's set on auto. Beyond the owner's manual I bought a couple of books that are supposed to be for beginners in the field of digital SLR cameras, and although they claim to be in my native language, they're all Greek to me.

Good luck, Berrie! I'm cheering you on.

Barrie Hamby said...

Thank you ladies. Yvonne and Erin. Pearl is a regular point and shoot. A fancy one yes...but still more simple than a DSLR. I spent some time with the manual this morning and have already learned a few things. I think there may be hope :)

leaslooks said...

Understanding Exposure is the best photography book that I can ever recommend for someone just getting started :) I think I read my trusty copy a few times before it all 'clicked'.

Don't be scared of Pearl, Berrie! You've got this :)

Novelty Pens said...

Books are an important part of learning basic photography. But the best way to explore your camera's possibilities it to take pictures! Lots of pictures!

Fabs said...

you can do it Berrie, you can do it! just look at what I have learned...there is hope for girls like you and me!