Sunday, February 3, 2008

Make a Felt Patch Lickety Split

I am always on the look out for a unique way to make simple doll clothes that are easy for a child to utilize. Taking a simple pattern and embellishing the outfit is a great way to make this happen. Making a fabric and wool felt patch is one fun and simple way to add a detail to not only doll clothes, but children's wear, handbags and anything else you can come up with.
Here is my quick and easy way to make a felt patch:

Assemble your ingredients:
Fabric with an image you would like to use
Wool felt (I use 100% wool but you can certainly use a blend)
Iron on adhesive
Pinking shears
Thread
Sewing machine
Iron



Cut a piece of iron on adhesive a bit larger than the image you would like on your patch. Iron this on the back of the fabric using the manufacturer's instructions.



On the paper backing, draw or trace your desired shape for the patch.



Cut the shape out. Peel off the paper backing and iron the fabric shape in place on the felt piece.



Cut the felt making certain to leave about 1/2" on all sides. I am doing 2 patches at once so I have left them connected at this point. This technique of satin stitch requires an applique foot. If you aren't certain which foot that is, look for a foot that has a groove cut out of the sole of the foot that is as wide as your widest zig-zag stitch. To begin set your sewing machine to straight stitch and stitch around the fabric about 1/16th of and inch away from the edge.



When you are back at the beginning, do not remove the patch from the machine. Set your machine to satin stitch (I use a pretty narrow one for a small patch like this one).
Continue around the patch a second time using the satin stitch. Remove from the machine. I like to leave long thread tails that I then pull to the back and tie off.
Next you are ready to cut around the patch, leaving a margin of felt exposed around the edge. I like to use pinking shears for this process.



Your Patch is done and ready to be put on your project. I am embellishing a pair of doll pants with these little tree frog patches. Pin in place. (Bonus tip--when making small items like doll clothes, iron the hems and casings before you sew any seams. This makes assembling the garment so much faster and eliminates the need to iron them in when they are no longer flat pieces of fabric).
Put your regular foot back on you machine and stitch next to the satin stitching using a straight stitch.



And Voila! Here is a sweet little outfit for a Moonchild Waldorf Doll.




Here is another one I did the other day.





I hope you have fun with this technique. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I am new at writing tutorials and any and all feedback is greatly appreciated

Enjoy!
xo Berrie

1 comment:

Kay said...

I love your dolls and have been scouring your blog lately, :) thought I'd leave a comment. I'm waiting right now for my first shipment of dollmaking supplies, I'm ecstatic! The tutorials sound awesome and I will definately check back in. I got lucky like you at the thrift store. I found a Singer Slantomatic 500 in a foldup sewing cabinet/table for......$20. I about fell over, it had all it's important stuff with it too. Looked like whoever owned it took good care of it because it purrs like a kitten. Bliss.
Sorry for the book, ttyl.