Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Mystery Solved

Recall the little lung thingy I was faced with last month?  If not,  I will sum up.  I acquired Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis.  This is a fancy term for very inflamed lungs that do not want to process oxygen therefore leaving me feeling lethargic and out of breath.  No fun.

I have been on oxygen and steroids for a month now and they are working their magic.  The steroids, of course, come with a price.  So far an additional 7 pounds have found me. I wake up most mornings around 4:30.  I am HYPER in the morning and into the day.  I often crash around 4pm.

I had my follow up visit yesterday and things are going very well.  They are dropping my dose by 10mgs a week till I am on a minimal dose.  I don't need the oxygen unless I am active.  Is sewing really very active?

The other good news is that they are certain of the cause.  This was a big worry for Mr. Hamby and me as we did not know if it was in our home or nearby environment.  The blood work revealed that I have the antibodies for the exact fungus that lives in air conditioning and swamp coolers.   The condition revealed itself soon after our visit to Las Vegas and, as you may imagine, we were in air conditioning the whole time.  We stayed at the Excalibur and they were working on the air conditioning system on our floor the whole time we were there.  Hmmm....

This is enlightening at best.  I still have to finish healing and I feel very fortunate  to be able work at home and feel secure the "itis" didn't come from my own environment. Life is still very good indeed.

On a completely unrelated note....say hello to one of my new favorite fabrics.
xo

8 comments:

leaslooks said...

I'm glad you are feeling better, Berrie! Also glad that you've figured out what is making you sick!

marirob said...

I'm glad that you have figured out what was causing your illness! And that you on the mend. And that fabric is super cute - what a find!

Vira said...

Oh Berrie, I'm glad that you feel better, and I hope that you can get back to normal soon. It's good that you know what caused this, mystery solved as you said. Take care of yourself!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cathy said...

Wow! You were pretty sick weren't you! Is it like Legionaires Disease?

I am so glad that you are on the mend and able to be back at what you love.

Jan said...

Please, please be careful with the prednisone. I was on it for close to 14 months and now have osteoporosis. No one said to take calcium daily while one it. also take a daily vit D.
I know how you feel. Shortness of breath is awful! I am glad you are finding relief.
Jan
jbeane6,wordpress.com

Barrie Hamby said...

Thank you everyone. Jan, I hear you. I have been warned by a few. I do take Calcium w/D and my Prednisone dose is already 1/2 my original dose. I may be off of in a month or 2. I does feel good to breathe though!

tasha said...

hope you're feeling better!